Friday, January 19, 2007

Yaa-hooo!


The BBC quotes Jerry Yang as saying he was inspired to name Yahoo! Yahoo! by Shammi Kapoor's famously over-the-top "Chahe Mujhe Koi Junglee Kahe" (with its indelible refrain, half Himalayan mountain yodel, half free love orgasm—ya-hooo!) from Junglee (1961).

Technically I guess the credit should go to the songwriting team of Shankar-Jaikishen, the Leiber & Stoller of Bollywood.

I used to dream about being a Beatle. These days I wish I'd been the Stoller of Bollywood. Or Leiber. Which one did the lyrics?

Anyway, that cornpone high lonesome banjo wail Yahoo! uses in their TV spots? Don't buy it. It's all Shammi.

5 comments:

CLAY BANES said...

dear r.:

neither of us ever had the hair to be a beatle.

rodney k said...

Sadly, I think somewhere in the very early 90s I might have tried.

Gary said...

Hi Rodney,

I had no idea that Yahoo! is a reference to Shammi Kapoor. That's incredible.

BTW, Shailendra wrote the lyrics to the song. Bollywood composers almost never write lyrics--just the music.

Thanks for the great read-through of Aag. Nice poster!

rodney k said...

Hi Gary,

Thanks! Glad you dropped by, since you're the one who got me to watch Aag in the first place. Wish I could do the music, but consider my dreams revised to being Shailendra.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing...certain words ..certain years...
I remember Pegi always saying " YA- HOO".
And then ,MP was next with " YUM- YUM"...
I thought..really, they are imbeciles, or what?
And so it went, until GREYHOUNDS , their suffering, made it much more understandable and communicated something " undetectable"...but their was a certain message.
DAWMANA- DEDOONV- BORNEUR ...now all words that make far more " sense".
And so do ACCOL - JUNGLEE...enough to produce a movie..." KANSAS KINGS"....
And was it all about RACISM?
Was it just about PEDOPHILIA?
Did the players just throw in their obsessions of
" NEW VIOLENCE"....and GREED ARK?
Is this the reason why HANSEN- ROOT- MEESE, got into
" SS" of TEXAS with DICK CHENEY?
GUNS- DRUGS- HUMAN - TRAFFICKING.
MOBSTERS- DASSAULT- HEINTZ?
All I know, is that half of HOLLYWOOD liked it.
Everyone lost not only their SOMATIDS but SEACRESTS.